Monday, July 16, 2007

First RWA National Conference

Last week I attended my first RWA National Conference and I am exhausted.

Since it was my first conference for RWA, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I attended as many things as possible to get a feel for the conference. I found the workshops were very informative. I was amazed at how many people attended each workshop; some of them were standing room only. I was also pleased to see the various types of workshops that they had and it seemed there was something for every author depending on where they were in their writing journey.

I was also very impressed with the literacy signing, there were over 400 authors donating there time to this cause signing books for everyone. The Black Diamonds donated a basket for the signing and it had some wine, a Poppy Laurel Original Believe necklace and autographed books from Tawny Weber and Karin Tabke.

One of my favorite memories of the conference was having Nora Roberts autograph a book for my grandma and have my picture taken with her. I will be giving both the book and picture to my grandma this next weekend and I can’t wait.

I thought the conference was awesome and that everyone was very friendly and warm. I would be in the elevator and people would ask me how I was enjoying the conference since I had a “First Timers” ribbon on my name tag.

There were so many moments at the conference I will cherish and think back on fondly over the years. I know what to except next year when the conference comes to my back yard, San Francisco. So what is your favorite conference memory?

Lyn Emerson
Black Diamonds Vice President

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so many...I met some wonderful people, everywhere. Chatted in the elevator, at the bar, lunch, and breakfast. I loved Jane Porter's workshop on the alpha male, and it did bring a tear to my eye. And I don't cry easily. I went to Medievel Times with a group of people I didn't know, but by the time I left, I did know, as we drooled over the knights, cheered on our favorite. Now that was a blast.Now I need to settle in switch gears on my writing, study my notes, and write...I'm all revved up now.

Jill James said...

My favorite memory of this or any conference is the people who will help to destress you outside appointments. Telling you to breathe, or listening to your pitch and saying 'good job'. Romance people are the friendliest people I know.