Sunday, July 22, 2007

The Alpha Female

After seeing the new movie the Transformer, I realized how the Alpha Female has come into prominence in our society. She’s everywhere, in the form of cops, firefighters, and young teenage heroines who aren’t afraid to go to battle. When I was at National conference there was a lot of talk about the Alpha male, and the kick butt heroine.

She’s not just kick butt, but an alpha on her own and the head of the pack.

I’m a baby boomer.

I now can see the influences the Alpha Female had on me. Of course, back in the late fifties and early sixties, she was anomaly among the June Cleavers of the world, and was rare, at least the kick butt stand alone types.

My first heroine, was Jo in Little Women. She swam against the tide of the 1800’s. Not out there fighting for justice and the American way, but in her own way she brought to light the struggle young women had during the period, where they couldn’t vote, hold down jobs, and have a say in life altering decisions. But Jo wanted something different, than marriage and kids, she wanted to be a writer.
Every few weeks Jo would shut herself up in her room, put on her scribbling suit, and fall into a vortex', as she expressed it, writing away at her novel with all her heart and soul, for till that was finished she could find no peace.

I admired Nancy Drew’s independent spirit, and smarts.

I wanted to be the supper agent, Mrs. Emma Peel of the Avengers. To kick butt while remaining 5th Avenue fashionable.

Today’s young women have a flotilla of heroines and Alpha Females to choose from. As long as they don't confuse the Britney Spears and the Paris Hilton of the world some twisted heroine to strive to see rehab and the inside of protective custody in jail. There is so much more to choose from. Actually every young heroine in a book, movie or show seems to have the strong hero qualities.

Harry Potter’s Hermione, is smart, strong, loyal and brave almost to the point of foolishness.

Mikaela of the new movie the Transformer is a real kick butt no holds bar heroine, for a teenage girl and beautiful.

My personal favorite as an adult is Ripley of Aliens. I loved the second movie the best. Ripley was the very definition of the hero’s journey and she saved the alpha male, if only for a short while.

When I write my heroines, I combine all these heroes to make one often damaged alpha female.

I love my alpha females…They are truer to life then one might think.

What’s your favorite female heroine?

Lee

5 comments:

Nicole North said...

When I was a kid, my favorite heroine was the Bionic Woman, definitely kick-butt. I wanted to be just like her. During the 90s, I loved La Femme Nikita (the TV series.) There is something strongly appealing, to both men and women, about a person who is beautiful but deadly.

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow I forgot about Nikita, I loved that show. She wasn't just kick butt, truly kick ass.

Anonymous said...

I always go back to the first, and my all time fave kick ass girl I met in the pages of a book. Scarlett O'hara.

Jill James said...

I have just recently started paying attention to kickbutt heroines. Lee's mention of Jo March and Karin's of Scarlett, reminded me that there have always been kickbutt women, you just had to search longer for them way back when.

Anonymous said...

I love no holds barred Scarlett..