Monday, March 19, 2007

You Learn Something New Every Day

As a writer the phrase ‘you learn something new every day’ is a given. As much as we love writing and reading, learning is an important part of this career we’ve chosen. After writing and reading, we love to do research. Okay, part of research is obviously reading to get the info and of course, writing to take notes. But, learning something new is the real draw to research. I love knowing something today I didn’t yesterday, or even this morning.

Most romance writers will be the first to admit their significant other doesn’t “get” what they write. But, with suspense thrillers, action-adventure, and police procedurals added with the romance genre, we have a bigger chance for our husbands or boyfriends to understand where our stories are coming from.

I learned something new today. All fingerprints are different. Okay, most of you are saying, “Of course all fingerprints are different, that is how they catch the bad guys. Duh!” But, all of your fingerprints are different; each of your ten fingers are unique and different from each other. This I did not know.

I would not have thought to ask my policeman husband but I’m working on a romantic suspense manuscript right now and now I have questions he can answer. It was kinda interesting to have a conversation about fingerprints. I love learning new things and learning new things about my husband!

What new thing did you learn today?


Jill James, President

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog..You do learn something new everyday...There are days when I learn so much from my grandkids, friends, and just life experiences, its exhausting...But its part of our writing process..Learn, learn some more and keep on learning...

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how much we learn everyday. I love to learn and feel most alive when I am learning or experiencing something new. I think it keeps us young.

Lyn