Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Summer and other mild distractions to your writing rhythm.....

I don’t know about you but I love summer. The long days and walking the dog at twilight; listing to the bugs and watching the sky change as the sun sets. I have a very hard time sitting still in the house during summer. I feel guilty if I am not enjoying Mother Nature.

So needless to say I didn’t make many of my writing goals. So I decided to buy a laptop so I could sit in my back yard and enjoy the weather and write. Wonderful idea I thought; but it took 5 weeks for said laptop to arrive, two days before I left for vacation. We were vacationing in the California redwoods; tent camping with no power or Internet. I work in the IT field so no computers, cell phones, Internet or Blackberry is truly the break I need. I had a wonderful time enjoying my family, catching up with family members that joined us, hiking with the kids and floating on a raft in the middle of the river. The laptop would be there when I returned to use in my back yard.

Then I pulled a muscle in my neck, which is still hurting me and my hand goes numb when I type too much. So I must preserve my typing for my job which pays the bills. So my beautiful laptop sits in its bag waiting for the day that it can site on my patio table and help me create my book. I figure my shoulder will be better in a couple weeks, about the time the kids go back to school and the days start to get shorter.

Of course then it will be my favorite time of year to write and now I will be able to take my laptop with me next to our fireplace and write about far away places.

So what types of things distract you from your writing?

Lyn Emerson
Black Diamonds Vice President

3 comments:

Jill James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill James said...

It is so easy to be distracted when the kids are home. Fortunately, mine are old enough to entertain themselves, or they should be. LOL If there are no explosions, broken bones, gushing blood, don't knock on my office door.

Anonymous said...

Since most of my family is out of the area,summer is a huge distraction. I love to travel and visit family during this time of year, and they visit me. My home turns into the Hotel California. And Grandkids are out of school, so I spend a lot of time with them. When I find time to write, its usually very late at night, when the world is quiet, and I can be alone, if I'm not to exhausted to put my mind to work, and my fingers on the keyboard.